• Identify potential usability issues on the website
• Collect ratings to measure satisfaction and overall usability
• Provide high-level recommendations that can be considered to address the identified issues
• 20-30 years old young people
• Has healthy eye condition
• Completing or recently completed college or university
• Intention to purchase a car within 1 year
• Mobile users (either iPhone 6 and above or Android 7+)
• Access to personal computer
• Can access to internet
A eye tracker (Tobii pro) was used during the whole course of task session to catch participants’ eye movement data, which usually captures the fixations, scan path over time while they are doing a task on the website.
The advantages of using eye-tracking technique is that, in real time, we can see exactly what a user is looking at- or not looking at- when navigating your site. By eye tracking the user, we can immediately identify usability problems and intuitively understand how to fix them. Eye tracking reveal issues that are often easy to fix and that have a high impact on improving conversion rates and sales figures.
(2) Interviews and satisfaction rating
Followed by each task scenario, we interviewed participants about their experience and asked them for a satisfaction rating on their experience.
(3) System Usability Scale
At the final phase of the session, System Usability Scale (SUS) was used to measure the overall usability experience.
(4) Performance evaluation
During each task session, we also measured total amount of time on each task for each subject, their performance errors and completion rate.
(5) Auditory recording
We were recording the whole tasks process for the analysis.
For this particular project, we were testing the following areas:
• Initial impression with the web site
• Explore and find if there are any special offers at the moment
• Build and price a vehicle (for a specific model)
• Review build model and book a test drive
Prior to the real testing, our group members worked together to set up the experimental program, run the pilot trial, and review the data, ensuring the whole system would function well during the real testing.
The testing took place in a soundproof booth. Participant sit in front of the desktop, which has the Tobii eye-tracking system installed, and the eye tracker is attached to the lower bar of the screen. One group member acted as an interviewer sitting besides the participant.
During the whole testing session, the other two group members sit out side of the testing room, watching the monitor screen and taking notes.
A mix of quantitative, behavioural and qualitative data to obtain insights into usability issues. The following is a diagram showing what data we were using for the analysis.
The following are slides deck that presents the top three research findings (website issues ) and our recommendations for the improvements.